A Note from Brian
It’s hard to believe we are approaching the halfway point of the semester. The enthusiasm of our students overjoys me. Their desire to allow the Lord to work in their lives personally and their heart to reach this world for Jesus are such a blessing. Our students have already ministered to about eight thousand people, and we’ve had the chance to see 164 place their faith in Jesus.
Since I know you are missing your child, remember that Thanksgiving and Christmas will be here before you know it. We are praying for you!
Both campuses had Spirit Week October 10–13 with the themes of Campus Switch Day (students dressed like someone at the opposite Bible Institute campus, either New York or Florida), Wacky Twins Day, Dress Like a Staff Member Day, and Anything but a Backpack Day (students carried their supplied items in various containers – trash cans, totes, bags, a canoe, etc.). It was fun to see the students’ creativity.
October was a busy month with Homecoming and Family Weekend, Spirit Week, the ACBC Conference, and Campus Preview Days. We also had ministry teams going out to serve at various fall festivals.
Fall sports are ending, and basketball has begun! We’re so thankful for the opportunities sports ministries give to our students. Each Huskies athlete shares their testimony with the opposing team, and we have seen many students come to know the Lord because of it.
There were an estimated 200 to 250 alumni, parents, friends, and family here last month for our 2023 Homecoming event. Thank you to everyone who attended and made this weekend a success. Plans are already in the works for New York Homecoming 2024 happening over Columbus Day weekend, October 11–13, 2024.
Click here to check a recap video from Homecoming: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyWfHaru74z/
As many of you will be welcoming your students back home for the holidays, we wanted to make you aware of our freshman and sophomore ministry trips taking place in the spring so you can ask your students about them.
- Missions Reality:
Our sophomores are beginning the process of raising funds for their Missions Reality trips around the world, which will take place April 18–27. Missions Reality is both a college course and a missions trip. Students earn academic credit for completing the tasks associated with support raising and participating in missions. This year, we have students traveling to Argentina, Belize, the Philippines, Quebec, Romania, Uganda, and Wayumi (a cross-cultural missionary training experience in the United States).
- Open Air Evangelism:
Our freshmen are beginning the process of raising funds for their Open Air Evangelism trip to New York City, which will take place April 24–28. This is a life-changing experience for our students, and we look forward to seeing how God works in and through them this year. Now is a good time for students to begin approaching their pastors about sharing their needs in church and meeting with their missions committees during Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.
Our Fall Festival took place on October 19. This was a wonderful time featuring carnival games, pumpkin carving, and an outdoor BBQ. The day concluded with worship and devos.
Coffee House on Oct. 20 was a great way for students to share their talents through skits, readings, and worship!
Our first Campus Preview Days event of the school year took place October 19–21. There were 27 prospective students and 19 parents and families who came and joined us for our Fall Festival, classes, and our Coffee House event.
The Overflow Band went out on tour from October 21 to 29. They had the opportunity to minister in churches and schools throughout Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.
We had a Blood Drive on October 24 for our students, staff, and RV park residents. We are grateful for many who participated in giving blood to save lives.
Both campuses: Reverb
We have several ministry teams going to Reverb in November and December. This all-night event gives teens and youth groups the opportunity to go to a sporting event and hear a gospel presentation afterward. For the rest of the night, the teens participate in various sports and activities – bowling, gaming, trampoline parks, etc. We are praying for many young to attend and respond to the gospel message.
- Essentials Biblical Counseling and Discipleship Workshop, Weekend 3: November 10–11
- Campus Preview Days: December 14–16
Click here to sign up for Campus Preview Days or a personal tour of the campus: wol.is/visit
- Spring Student Graduation: December 18
For those who have a spring student, we will have a graduation ceremony on December 18 during chapel. The ceremony will be followed by lunch with the graduates and family members in one of our private dining rooms. The academics team will reach out to spring students in the coming weeks, asking if they have any guests who will be attending the lunch. If you are unable to attend graduation, there will be a live stream on our Facebook page.
- Campus Preview Day: November 30 – December 2.
We are praying for many students to come and consider attending the Bible Institute! Click here to sign up for Campus Preview Days or a personal tour of the campus: wol.is/visit
- Spring Graduation: December 7
We will have a special dinner followed by the graduation ceremony at 7:00 PM.
Breaks and Housing
- New York and Florida Thanksgiving Break starts November 21 AFTER classes (1:00 PM). The return date is November 27.
- Florida Christmas Break starts December 8 AFTER the 9:00 AM exam. The return date is January 3.
- New York Christmas Break starts on December 19 AFTER classes (1:00 PM). The return date is January 12.
- New York housing: If you are a parent picking up your students for breaks (or simply coming for a visit), we have a property called The Pines at Lakeside, where you can book a room by calling 518.494.6000 (option 1). We also have a partnership with The Lodge at
Schroon Lake gives “guests of Word of Life” a 20% discount; call 518.987.0708 to book your stay.
- Florida housing: Parents who come to visit can stay in our Conference Center rooms on campus. There are times when we have retreat groups here, so housing may be limited. We do have a partnership with a local hotel that gives Word of Life guests a discount. More information can be obtained from our guest services at 727.379.5000.
When booking flights, please keep in mind that you will need several hours AFTER the time listed to travel to the airport. Be sure to leave a large enough margin of time before your flight. TSA suggests arriving at the airport two hours before a domestic flight.
- Elena, one of our Bible Institute students in Florida, is from El Salvador. She said she likes it here, but the first four weeks were hard due to the language and cultural differences. With the help of her roommates, however, she has adjusted well. She enjoys getting a deeper understanding of the Bible and especially likes Mark Strout’s teaching in Old Testament Literature. She is in the Spanish ministry group. Last weekend, her team went to a youth event at a Spanish church. Three young people were saved! She was very excited to be part of it.
- Gracie Webster, a sophomore at the Bible Institute in New York, had the following to say about her experience this year:
“I heard about the Bible Institute from my parents, who both attended and met here. This year, I have been learning more about what it means to depend on, abide in, and trust in the Lord for today and for the next steps. I would absolutely recommend the Bible Institute! Personally, I did not know how to study the Bible or what it looked like to walk with the Lord daily before I came here, and I have been so blessed by how much I have learned here!